Wednesday 16 November 2011

Back to School

Image source
I've signed up for a dressmaking course at the college nearby, which is a 10 week night course starting in January, it's called Dressmaking and Pattern Adaptation and the blurb for the course is


"You will have the opportunity to explore design elements, adapting existing patterns to reflect your own interests and requirements, and develop a greater understanding of fabrics, trends and commercial pattern limitations."

Sounds rather interesting, don't you think? I been plotting applying for it for sometime now and have been a little put off but the thought of actually going back to learning since I hated school, but that was mainly due to a few people who are bully's (I say are because I don't think they have actually changed in 12 years, eek how long!).  But i thought about what was stopping me from applying and I realised that I would not let those people bully me now and if I went back there I would kick their asses to kingdom come without a second thought, that in mind I bit the bullet and signed up for college because lets face it this is something really want to do! 

What do I hope to gain from the course? Well I would really like to learn how to draft my own patterns and this seems to be a very good starting point.  In order to swot up a little I've been attempting to draft something from Make Your Own Patterns by Rene Bergh, a book I have borrowed from my mum.  This book is so 80's I have actually been sitting laughing out loud in the sewing room. I mean check out this kids hair! Classic 80's Bowl cut!



The only thing is I've not been doing very well, either I'm measuring something wrong or I'm not following the instructions properly because it is just not working out.  Unless the arm scythe is meant to fall well below my bra! 

Other news, my dress is nearly done (just needs that dreaded hem doing) and I've been teaching myself how to knit and have nearly finished a scarf.  Maybe I can get it finished and show you soon, just got to learn how to cast off...

1 comment: